Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Book Worm: The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


LOVED this book! Must see the movie!

I thought this book was written so brilliantly, it really blew me away. Some might find it a bit too honest, but that's basically what this book is.. just pure HONESTY.

It is about a teenager Charlie, who is just trying to find his place in the world and among his peers. Trying to fit in but fails miserably in most situations because of his lack of social skills.

This book touches on the problems teenagers face when they are 'coming of age'. Depression, belonging, drugs and alcohol, peer pressure, abortion, relationships, abuse, etc. etc. But what I thought made this book so great, is it was told in the raw. Whatever Charlie thought, he said out loud  or in his letters to 'Dear Friend'.

The entire book is compiled letters from Charlie, to Dear Friend, which I thought was so unique and genius, I didn't expect it.

While reading, I formed a bond with Charlie, wanting to grab him and steer him in the right direction. This book was also hilarious! But also very insightful. I had so many pages and quotes bookmarked on my NOOK it was ridiculous!

Here were some of my favorite Charlie quotes:
"Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve."
"And in the moment, I swear we were infinite." 
"The sky was overcast with clouds and the air felt like a warm bath. I don't think I ever felt that clean before."
"I love Twinkies, and the reason I am saying that is because we are supposed to think of reasons to live."
"Old pictures look very rugged and young, and the people in the photographs always seem a lot happier than you are."
"First, I am very interested and fascinated by how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other."
"Girls are weird  and I don't mean that offensively. I just cant put it any other way"
"I would die for you. But I won't live for you."


Have you read or seen the movie? What did you think?

No comments: